World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
World number one Jannik Sinner confirmed on Friday he will not compete in the US Open, the final Grand Slam of the season, because of a right knee injury.
"Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year," the Italian said in a statement.
"We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue.
The five-time Grand Slam winner has not played since winning Wimbledon on July 12, pulling out of US Open warm-up hard court tournaments in Cincinnati and Montreal.
"I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart," said the 24-year-old who won the US Open in 2024 but lost last year's final to Carlos Alcaraz.
"I was very much looking forward to coming back and playing in the electric atmosphere in front of the great fans there.
Sinner will remain in Europe and continue his recovery with the aim of being ready for the Asian swing and the tournaments in Beijing and Shanghai.
Sinner had been dominating the 2026 season with an impressive record of 44 wins against three losses and six titles won, including Wimbledon.
However, he suffered a major disappointment at the French Open, where he arrived as the overwhelming favourite but crashed out in the second round after suffering in the heatwave.
On Thursday, his great rival, Carlos Alcaraz, announced that he would return to competition at the US Open following a more than four-month absence due to a wrist injury.
(W.Budayev--DTZ)